Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: sound advice

  1. #1
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey guys,
    having just seen my pristine print get long scratches throughout from a viewer I bought off of e-slay, I was wondering what viewers any of you have that you could recommend (yes I edit the old fashioned way with a Hervic splicer -- no computer!)...I'm getting a Sound camera soon and have eight rolls of sound film so I'm thinking about picking up a sound editor/viewer. Any suggestions on models you have worked with that won't slice and dice the film?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Konton's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2000
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wish I knew some good ones for you. Most viewers I find are low quality. They scratch up the film and they're light bulbs are too low to see anyhthing properly with. I'd go with a Goko 5005 or 8008. Or how about the TC-20? Then you can use it as an Editor and a Telecine transfer device. The Goko 5005 is a great viewer and allows excellent sound transfers to the main stripe. The 8008 does both main stripe and balance stripe, but it costs way more.

    Hey, wanna buy some sound film? It's been in cold storage all this time, and was to expire in 97 and 98. I also have some 200' sound film magazines (3 of these), but they are alot older (expired in 91, 91 and 82).

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I settle for nothing less than the Elmo 912/s editor. It is superior to the Dual 8mm 912 editor in film transport. It's easy to clean the prism and it will not scratch the film.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Roy Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2001
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My first viewer was the Vernon 808 and it was a nice inexpensive unit. Bright screen and easy on the film. I now use the infamous Minette S-5 and its easy on film and has a very good bright screen. Both of these units are silent. For sound the above mentioned Goko sound NF series and the 912S Super 8mm model are top of the line. A word of caution if buying sight unseen. Some of these viewers are filthy dirty and need alot of cleaning, others have damaged mirrors-lenses and are hard to repair.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Frank Houiellebecq's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2001
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Konton:
    Wish I knew some good ones for you. Most viewers I find are low quality. They scratch up the film and they're light bulbs are too low to see anyhthing properly with. I'd go with a Goko 5005 or 8008. Or how about the TC-20? Then you can use it as an Editor and a Telecine transfer device. The Goko 5005 is a great viewer and allows excellent sound transfers to the main stripe. The 8008 does both main stripe and balance stripe, but it costs way more.

    Hey, wanna buy some sound film? It's been in cold storage all this time, and was to expire in 97 and 98. I also have some 200' sound film magazines (3 of these), but they are alot older (expired in 91, 91 and 82).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


  6. #6
    Inactive Member #Pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2000
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use the Erno 1801M and I am satisfyed. The motor option is very good to see how your cut looks in real time relation. The 6V/10W bulb of any viewer can be repalced with the new halogen bulb 6V/10W which fits into the same socket without any modifications or adaptors. It gives a image which is significantly brighter (about 2 times). The screen could be repalced, too, using a so called glass screen, without grain and hot spot. Both, lamp and screen are availabale at Wittners in Germany. He also has a large range of viewers. From Goko and Erno (two brands for the same models) there are also sound viewers around, even for recording, but they are still costy...
    Pedro

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a Minette S-5. I think that it is the best viewer ever created by human beings.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for all the great advice. I'll know what to get in a couple of months when I start editing my next film...

  9. #9
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    I have a theory that small reels contribute to scratching.

    A bigger hubbed reel keeps the film path on more of a straight line.

    It's not something I'm passionate about because there could be disadvantages to big hubs..such as more torque is applied at all times.

    Listen to your viewer when you are running film through it...

    ...and the final test to do before you put your precious film through the viewer is shoot a few seconds of a bright sky...run that through your viewer and study the result,

    then investigate...most viewers should not scratch the film...unless there is a hidden burr on one of the guides.

    Remember, don't sinch your film (tightening a loose film reel by "pulling" the loose film tight.

    -Alex

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •